Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Always Be On Time

I hit the floor next to my bed too hard this morning... The only thing that kept me from zooming out of my house was the fact that I hadn't brushed my teeth, was barefoot, and perhaps even more telling... I was still in my night clothes. Ah, well. At least I woke up refreshed for once.

After doing all of these things, I went over the morning's headlines, both local and national, while simply annihilating some Froot Loops, which now are a good source of fiber, according the box. (Thanks for being so health conscious, Toucan Sam.) I knocked out a couple of routine tasks, and my usually boring morning actually flew by for once. All of this considered, that's where the topic of today's entry really comes from: What is time, and what does it mean to us as people?

I'm not trying to start some esoteric scientific discussion, but this has been something that's always puzzled me, especially growing up in a Christian household. In the first book of the Bible, Genesis, we're taught that God created the Earth as we now know it in seven days, taking only the seventh off to rest. I'm not going to even go into the measurements of time in the Bible, because in the Old Testament people lived for hundreds of years seemingly and it would be a waste of time to try and quantize or measure anything from a holy book, let alone the Bible...

But I wonder: How long does a day last for the Father? One thousands years, a million... A google? At this evening's revival service, the guest speaker went on to talk about important numbers that appear throughout the Scriptures and picked a verse from Revelation to expound upon. As a Christian, I'm confident the Messiah will return when He is ready. I just find it interesting that as much as we could never do it, people some times try to think of God, heaven, or anything spiritual in scientific or even mathematical quantities.

For now, this is a verse I'm going to reflect on, from Revelations verse 11:15:

Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The Kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!"

If that's the case, maybe time doesn't matter that much after all. As long as I'm on His time, I'll always be on time.




No comments:

Post a Comment