Thursday, October 29, 2009

Breaking the Habit

Anybody that knows me knows that I lead a rather interesting life. It's not anymore interesting than that of the next person, but at the same time, it's far from what many would call "average." I'm the product of a bi-racial marriage, I actually welcome challenges, and overall, I try to find the bright side of even the darkest situations.

Now let's re-examine that last thing I mentioned: "...The darkest of situations." I don't know about you, but I've found myself in contretemps that a person my age, let alone a person of any age, should be smart enough to get out of (or steer clear of altogether). But the thing is in situations like these, as an outspoken young person, there are many times when nobody short of my closest loved ones or friends can talk to me. And even with, it takes a sign from the Man Upstairs to catch my eye to see that I should relax in certain situations.

What does this mean ultimately? I have to break the habit. Not just a habit, the habit. I can be so stubborn sometimes, that I find myself tripping over the most simple things. That's probably why I love the Linkin Park song "Breaking the Habit." It's so full of contradictions and emotion, that it's a negative song. But it's the positive message that gets your attention: The person singing the lyrics isn't just singing them, but belting out his sorrows for the world to hear, even if those are his last words as a living person. With that in mind, let those be my last words as a 21-year-old person:

"I'm breaking the habit... TONIGHT!"

No comments:

Post a Comment