Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Nothing Worth Recording

It's been another "interesting" day for Legacy Elite, and I mean "interesting" in a good way. Many of the things I've been working on behind the scenes are coming to fruition, while others are coming together. I'm blessed and highly-favored by the Lord, so I expect nothing less than the best from me and those around me. God's had to put me in some humbling places just for me to admit this, but I have way too much to be happy about for me not to live life and enjoy it to the maximum. There are a lot of times when I forget I'm only in my mid-20s, and not in my mid-40s as my writings and my unique tastes in music and literature would lend people to believe.

I've gotten back into my production as serious as ever, and have cut back on a lot of junk that I feel wastes my time, such as mindless drivel in various forms of media: Corporate radio playlists, reality television (or really television in general), and literature that I cannot really get anything from. I believe this has to do with me looking at how certain songs or movies make me feel afterward as much as me having a birthday in a couple of years. After all, there are some songs, like TLC's "Waterfalls" that I will always love and reference as a piece of great music if someone asks me what great music sounds like someday... But other songs, which need no mention, don't make me feel the same way they did in high school.

Granted, I'm only 21, but outside of certain things that the older people in my family listened to or introduced me to, there aren't many records that drop today or I receive somehow that make me do a double-take. That's one of the things that make me enjoy making music, writing lyrics, and still learning how to combine the two: The chance to create something magical and timeless. When I listen to the first few bars of Tupac's "Dear Mama," I can't front: I almost tear up thinking about all my mother has done for my siblings and I. When I hear old '70s funk I instantly think of long road trips to Miami with my father and siblings and songs that seemed to last as long as I-95 itself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that when I create music, it's coming from a special place, and if it doesn't, it can just as soon as go in the trash can. After all, what's music without some kind of soul or spirit in it? To me, it's nothing worth recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment