Friday, October 9, 2009

One Million and One

It's been a long time since I've updated my blog, but needless to say, I have my reasons. The seasons are changing and I've had more than enough to keep busy. One recurring thread that has quietly interwoven into the fabric that I call my life is gratitude. My year as been nothing short of incredible, be it from the dizzying highs or from the crushing lows.

Most people would think that triumph and defeat have nothing in common, but I beg to differ: They actually have everything in common. You flip a coin, and the result's going to be one or the other... There is no in-between. When we apply this rationale to life (and admittedly, as subjective as life can be at times, we probably shouldn't), life is ultimately a pass or fail course.

Sure you can say you cheated the teacher all those times you passed around answers in class, or even claim you cheated death that one night you fell asleep behind the wheel, but we're only cheating ourselves in the long run. I've learned that for better or worse, you can never cheat God. There are times when we feel like he isn't with us, or that we've avoided his judgment, but he always has the last word.

I say all of that to say this: Who are we, as mere human beings, to deny ourselves greatness? This question came up in a conversation with a friend and musical collaborator about our musical aspirations earlier this summer, and there was something about the conversation that resonated with me: He was to entitle one of his mix tapes "Glory or Death," and that profound title hit me hard. As someone who's been told that they have so much potential or could be anything I wanted to be my whole life, I've dealt with adversity and underestimation... But most of it has come from within my own mind. We are our own worst enemies, and once we can accept that, it allows us the freedom to make mistakes. After all, nobody is perfect!

I believe Basketball Hall of Famer Michael Jordan said it best: "I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." As I'm getting older, I'd rather fall on my face one million times just to say I got back up one million and one. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. Failure is lame. At least try and know how to navigate the issue should it arise again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, and that's the difference between me now and when I was younger. I used to sulk about my failures, but now I look at them as experiences that I never want to go throw again.

    ReplyDelete