Sunday, October 25, 2009

Playing Our Positions

One of the things that I have to remember as a young person on the cusp of adulthood (if I'm not already deep in it) is that good things come to those that wait, and moreover, patience is a virtue. So bearing that in mind, as much as I want to throw a tantrum when things don't go my way, or think about being a bad sport when I've competed as hard as I can and still come up short... I just can't do it anymore. And that's the adult in me talking sense into the kid in me, as abstract or just plain crazy as that might sound.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, impatience is a childish trait. It could be impatience with our loved ones, friends, or just life in general. I'm saying this from experience. There are things that I'm still waiting for that I've learned, for better or worse, I can't control and expedite into my life. But I've had to go through some growing pains before I realized that this happens to almost everyone in one shape or another, and then it hit me:

Good things come to those that wait for them.

Now I'm not saying you should just become lazy and not be proactive in life, never mind your own, but knowing you waited for something to come to fruition is usually, and might be the only way you'll ever learn how to appreciate it. For example, it's cool to say you can get a date with a different supermodel any day of the week, but 52 weeks later, you'll have no real relationship to show for it and a whole lot of baggage afterward. Now for comparison, if you just choose to befriend a member of the opposite sex and get to know them over the course of a year... Who knows what could blossom from that?

When people think of those who have passed, they usually think of the positive things that came from their time on this planet, but you know what those positive things usually are: Not the fact that they failed at times or might have made the same mistakes more than once, but the fact that they had the wherewithal to get up, and keep going. In the grand scheme of things, that's all that matters. Too many of us want to hit the game-winning shot in the championship game, instead of just playing our positions so our "teams" can win.

No comments:

Post a Comment